BACK TO NATURE CYCLING: SLOVENIA BY BIKE
$3800 $3500 per person
This one-week tour will take us through six Slovenian regions: Carinthia, Styria, Upper Carniola, Karst Plateau, and Istria, and you’ll pass some of the most breathtaking views on the road.
Our outstanding guides will show you all the beautiful places, bring you to restaurants with the best chefs and cuisines, offer deeper insights into Slovenian culture and history, and enable you to fully embrace your experience!
- Cycle in six regions in one week
- Visit the most beautiful Slovenian spots: Logar Valley, Lake Bled, Vršič Pass, Soča River Valley, Škocjan caves, and Piran
- Tour Istria, the world’s top region for making olive oil
- Sample authentic local food and wine
- Cycling through an abandoned zinc mine
- Logar Valley, one of the most beautiful glacier valleys in Europe
- Like Bled with a small island and a church
- Vršič pass, 50 curves built during WWI
- Škocjan caves, UNESCO heritage
- Piran, small Venetian town
Departure TimeComing soon!
Dress CodeCasual, comfortable athletic clothing, biking equipment
Day 1: Welcome to Slovenia
On the day of your arrival, we’ll pick you up at the Ljubljana Airport and in the afternoon, we will move to our starting point at Prevalje, your accommodation.
Day 2: Cycling in the mine
Cycling through the underworld of Peca begins above Črna na Koroškem and leads us along abandoned mine tunnels to the neighboring valley right next to Mežica. It’s pitch black in the tunnel, and the flashlights on our helmets are the only source of light. This is an incredible tour which lasts 2-3 hours in which we cycle for 5 kilometers, discover the history of this place, and learn about geology and the challenges of mining. Renting the bikes, helmets and flashlights is included in the price. Just put on some warm clothes and bring along your gloves, too!Distance: 35km (5km in the mine)(21.7 miles; 3.1 in the mine)Elevation: 1000m (3280 ft)
Day 3: Savinja Alps
The Solčava panoramic road is like a first-time crush! Unique in its beauty, it leads us along pearls of the natural and cultural heritage of the Solčava Region, with stunning views of the peaks and valleys. Passing subsistence highland farms, we’ll see sustainable dwellings, rustic creativity, and close-knit communities. The road leads us to Logar valley where we’ll spend the night.Distance: 30 km (18.6 miles)Elevation: 460 m (1509 ft)Optional bike trip to Rinka waterfall (additional 10 k, 6.2 miles)
Day 4: Transfer to Bled. Bled - Kranjska Gora
Today, we transfer by bus over the scenic passes to Lake Bled, where we’ll ride a boat or visit the castle. After that we’ll move to Jesenice, to begin cycling toward Kranjska Gora. This path leads us along an old railway track past Slovenia’s highest peak, Triglav. If we have enough time, we’ll also visit Planica, one of the most famous ski jump venues in the world.Distance: 30 km (18.6 miles)Elevation gain: 465m (1525 ft)Optional bike trip to Planica (additional 10 k; 6.2 miles)
Day 5: Kranjska Gora - Bovec
The most demanding day on our trip. First, we’ll conquer Vršiš pass (1611m). The Vršič Pass, with an elevation of 1,611 meters (5285 ft), is a high mountain pass across the Julian Alps in Slovenia, as well as the highest in the Eastern Julian Alps.After that we’ll cycle through the Trenta valley along the emerald Soča river to Bovec.Distance: 50 km (31 miles)Elevation gain: 1000 m (3280 ft)Optional visit to WW1 fortress in the evening
Day 6: Transfer Bovec - Opatje selo
Optional visit WW1 museum and WW1 monument in Kobarid Opatje selo - Tomaj A beautiful cycling day. It takes place on low-traffic asphalt roads and on stony dirt roads. Our course meanders along traditional Karst wine “Teran” vineyards, lonely meadows, and Karst villages. The views are incredible on sunny autumn days when the colors are at their finest. At the end of the day, we’ll enjoy our evening in Tomaj with excellent regional food and wine.Distance: 50 km (31 miles)Elevation: 1000 m (3280 ft)
Day 7: Tomaj-Škocjanske jame - Piran
In the morning we’ll visit the Škocjan caves. After that we’ll hop on our bikes and cycle down to the seaside, staying overnight in Piran. On the way, we’ll keep marveling at the Slovenian coast and Karst plateau.Distance: 50 km (31 miles)Elevation: 400 m (1312 ft)
Day 8: Piran -Lavrica
In the morning: free time in Piran till 11:00. After lunch, we’ll drive along the seaside by Vrhnika, then follow a scenic route to Ljubljana. We’ll pass the critically historic Spring of Ljubljanica river, the Bistra castle, and Borovnica stone bridge.Distance: 30 km (18.6 miles)Elevation gain: 100 m (328 ft)
Day 9: Ljubljana
After breakfast we’ll load up our luggage, and at 10:00 we’ll have freetime in downtown Ljubljana. After lunch you’ll have time for one last shopping trip, then we’ll have a farewell dinner at a favorite local restaurant.
Day 10: Move on
Our trip has come to an end, but we are happy to help coordinate the next step of your trip. If you plan on wrapping up your vacation in Europe, Ljubljana Brnik, Zagreb, Munich, and Venice Marco Polo are the most convenient airports to fly out of. However, if you can extend your stay in Slovenia or elsewhere in Europe, we are happy to help you reach your next destination!
WRITE A REVIEW
Included in the price of the itinerary
- Transportation from and to Ljubljana airport
- (we can also help you organize transportation from other airports, for an additional booking fee)
- Accommodation in double rooms (or, extra fee for a single room)
- Full board
- English-speaking cycling guides
- Transportation and entrance fees
- Bike rentals
- Mateja Travel T - shirt
- Services of Mateja Travel staff
Not Included in the Price of the Itinerary
- Round-trip airfare
- Excess baggage charges
- Optional trips
- Food and beverages if not defined otherwise
- Alcoholic beverages over provided meals if not defined otherwise
- Optional gratuities to tour guides
- Items of a personal nature
Consider as you sign up
- Airline tickets–Please check with us before purchasing your airline tickets to ensure your trip is confirmed with the minimum number (4) of participants required to operate.
- Travel insurance–To protect your travel investment, we recommend the purchase of travel insurance.
Save your money, no matter if you book the first or the last!Travel by yourself at one low price. Travel with companions for even lower prices! Your guaranteed spot means this: the more people that book a trip with Mateja Travel, the more money everyone saves.
- SMALL GROUP From 6 to 10 people $4100
- BIG GROUP From 11 to 16 people $2700