Istrian Marathon And Generous Slovenian Cusine
The first full marathon (also half marathon and 9.5 K (5.6 miles)) in Slovenia’s road running calendar is the Istrski maraton, Slovenija, or Istrian Marathon (as in the geographic region, Istria). Scheduled for the first weekend in April, the race runs through the three main cities on the Slovenian coast: Koper, Izola, and Piran. The curious thing about this marathon: the Start rotates among different towns, so the marathon is never the same!
- Eat a fancy meal in four different regions and Ljubljana!
- Run with the Adriatic Sea in view!
- Visit four regions: the Alps, the Karst, Styria, and the coast
- Sample local food and wine
- Experience top-notch Slovenian cuisine!
- Pass through Ljubljana, the Slovenian capital
- Visit Piran, the “pearl of the Mediterranean”
- Hike the Škocjan Caves, a UNESCO natural and cultural world heritage site
- Go back in time to Ptuj, the oldest Slovenian town
- Run around Lake Bled with a local running group
- Visit three Mediterranean medieval towns en route from Start to Finish!
- Run a famous race along the sparkling Adriatic Sea!
- Compete or volunteer!
- [Day One, Ljubljana:] Welcome dinner at one of Ljubljana’s best restaurants
- [Day Two, Ljubljana:] Admission to Ljubljana Castle, lunch and dinner
- [Day Three, Lake Bled:] Transportation, pletna boat, lunch and dinner
- [Day Four, Ptuj:] Transportation, admission to Ptuj Castle lunch and snack
- [Day Five, Škocjan Caves and Piran:] Transportation and prosciutto lunch
- [Day Six, Explore: Free time and] Coastal fish dinner
- [Day Seven, Slovenian coast:] Istrian Marathon and farewell dinner
DepartureLjubljana airport/Ljubljana airport
Departure TimeApril, 3 2023 in the afternoon
Return TimeApril, 10, 2023 after breakfast
Dress CodeCasual, comfortable athletic clothing, hiking shoes, hat and light jacket.
IncludedIstrian Marathon And Generous Slovenian Cusine
Day 1: Welcome to one of the greenest countries in the world!
Day 2: Ljubljana and its Dragons
Day 3: Lake Bled
Day 4: Ptuj
Day 5: Škocjan Caves and Piran
Day 6: Explore on your own
Day 7: Run
Day 8: Move on
Included in the price of the itinerary
- Transportation from/to Ljubljana airport
- Accommodations and breakfast for seven days in Ljubljana and area hotels
- All hotel taxes
- Welcome dinner on your first day
- Admission to Ljubljana Castle, lunch and dinner in Ljubljana on your second day
- Transportation, admission to Ptuj Castle, lunch, and snack on you fourth day
- English-speaking guide for Ljubljana, Ptuj, Škocjan Caves, and Piran
- Transportation and admission to Škocjan Caves and Piran, and lunch your fifth day
- Special fish dinner on your sixth day
- Entry fee for the race, plus transportation to the starting line, and farewell dinner on your seventh day
- Official T-shirt and food for competitors/volunteers
- Services of Mateja Travel staff
Food and Accommodations
- Four nights in one of Ljubljana’s ****hotels and three nights in Piran, Koper, or Izola hotels
- Buffet breakfasts each day
- Five dinners and four lunches in authentic local restaurants, plus tasty nourishing snacks
Not Included in the Price of the Itinerary
- Round-trip airfare
- Excess baggage charges; travel insurance
- Optional trips on day five
- Food and beverages if not defined otherwise
- Alcoholic beverages over provided meals if not defined otherwise
- Optional gratuities to tour guides
- Items of a personal nature
Consider as you sign up
- Airline tickets – Please check with us before purchasing your airline tickets to ensure your trip is confirmed with the minimum number (5) of participants required to operate.
- Travel insurance – To protect your travel investment, we recommend the purchase of travel insurance.
Save your money, no matter if you book the first or the last!
- SMALL GROUP From 6 to 14 people $3750
- BIG GROUP From 15 to 20 people $2950