Run Of Trios And Slovenian History
This three-member team race, held in the beginning of May, is a unique running event–the idea for it came from Allied solidarity and partnership during World War II. This historical annual event attracts increasing numbers of competitors for the 29 km and 12.5 km routes (18.3 miles/7.1 miles), which wind through the famous Ljubljana streets. The Path of Remembrance and Comradeship is held at the beginning of May; it’s a reminder of the time when Ljubljana was surrounded by barbed wire during World War II. More than 30,000 participants of all ages compete each year – from preschool to adult. It’s a socially engaging, gentle 32.5 km route (20.2 miles) with eight organized control points.
- Experience collaboration, partnership, and socializing with friends and local athletes!
- Visit three regions: Upper Carniola, all three chain of the Alps (Julian, Karavanke, and Kamnik Savinja) and Styria
- Visit historical monuments and museums/go back in time
- Sample authentic food and wine
- Ljubljana, the Slovenian capital
- Big Karst Plateau and shepherds’ huts
- Zicka Kartuzija and one of the oldest restaurants in Europe
- World War I museum and Napoleon bridge; enjoy the Soca River Valley
- Visit remains of World War II camp near Austria and enjoy lunch at the old border crossing
- Ptuj, the oldest Slovenian town
- Compete or volunteer in a big event with a historical motive!
- Experience collaboration and team run!
Quick itinerary video
- [Day One, Ljubljana:] Welcome dinner at one of Ljubljana’s downtown restaurants
- [Day Two, Ljubljana, Big Pasteur Plateau:] Transportation, admission to Ljubljana Castle, lunch and dinner
- [Day Three, Žiče Charterhouse:] Transportation, admission, lunch and snack
- [Day Four, Soča River Valley and World War I museum:] Transportation, admission, prosciutto lunch, dinner
- [Day Five, Ljubelj World War II and old crossing point with Austria:] Transportation, lunch, and dinner
- [Day Six, Explore: Free time and:] Run of Trios
- [Day Seven, Ptuj, the oldest Slovenian town:] Transportation, admission, spa, lunch, and Farewell dinner
DepartureLjubljana airport/Ljubljana airport
Departure TimeMay, 1, 2023 in the afternoon
Return TimeMay, 8, 2023 after breakfast
Dress CodeCasual, comfortable athletic clothing, hiking shoes, hat and light jacket.
IncludedRun Of Trios And Slovenian History
Day 1: Ljubljana and its Dragons
Day 2: Big Karst Plateau and Ljubljana
Day 3: Zice Carthusian monastery and one of the oldest restaurants in Europe
Day 4: Kobarid and WWI and Napoleon Bridge (Soca RIver Valley)
Day 5: Ljubelj WWII and old crossing point
Day 6: Run
Day 7: Ptuj in Ptujske toplice
Day 8: Move on
Included in the price of the itinerary
- Transportation from/to Ljubljana airport
- Accommodations with breakfast for seven days in Ljubljana hotels
- Welcome dinner on your first day
- Admission to Ljubljana Castle, lunch at Velika planina and dinner in Ljubljana on your second day
- Transportation, fee Žiče Charterhouse, lunch and snack on your third day
- Transportation to Kobarid, admission to museum, lunch, and dinner on your fourth day
- Transportation, admission for the museum, lunch, and dinner on your fifth
- Dinner on your sixth days in Ljubljana
- Transportation to Ptuj, lunch and farewell dinner on your seventh day
- English-speaking guide in Ljubljana, Ljubelj, and Ptuj
- Entry fee for race day
- Official T-shirt and food for volunteers
- Services of Mateja Travel staff
Food and Accommodations
- Seven nights in one of Ljubljana’s ****hotels
- Buffet breakfasts each day
- Seven dinners and five lunches in the most authentic local restaurants, plus tasty nutritious snacks.
Not Included in the Price of the Itinerary
- Round-trip airfare
- Excess baggage charges; travel insurance
- Optional trips
- Food and beverages if not defined otherwise
- Alcoholic beverages over provided meals if not defined otherwise
- Optional gratuities to tour guides
- Items of a personal nature
Consider as you sign up
- Airline tickets – Please check with us before purchasing your airline tickets to ensure your trip is confirmed with the minimum number (5) of participants required to operate.
- Travel insurance – To protect your travel investment, we recommend the purchase of travel insurance.
Save your money, no matter if you book the first or the last!
- SMALL GROUP From 6 to 14 people $3100
- BIG GROUP From 15 to 20 people $2400